Friday, May 26, 2006

Big Sis Sock and Lil Sis Sock

Amonias, Nitrites, Sulfides and Azides oh mi.........
What does that have to do with knitting? When was the last time you came across these substances in knitting? Do you have to be worried about these with knitting.... Oh heck no..... This has absolutely nothing to do with knitting unless you are a completely obsessed knitting Freak/Geek like me......

While learning about "TOXIC SUBSTANCES" today (which - I must admit - I LOVED the class - and have eight more hours to attend tomorrow) I actually made progress on THE SOCKS!

I am not sure why I didn't think of knitting them both together earlier. In all honesty I think I needed to have the one sock beyond the heel to prove to myself I could do it. By doing two at the same time - I probably would have delayed the heel and built up the anxiety within me.......

I was a lil bummed - I returned too late (and too tired as well) to attend open knit night at "Sister Art Studio." I was really looking forward to spending time with my lil knitter - Nat - and other fellow yarn obsessed women just plain KNITTING.




The story of how I got there is hillarious - and shows you how....

a. I am obsessed with knitting.....

b. How "car-phobic" I am (meaning after 10 years of commuting what a phobia I have at getting behind the wheel and DRIVING!)

I am not sure WHICH comes first though....... or what takes precedence..... I am not sure which would be more socially acceptable to admit to either.....

So - the conference is about 15 Miles from where I live. I could take public transportation (as in the Glorious El) or I could drive. Which did I chose.... (See a and b above if you need a hint).

OKAY - I hopped in a cab, gave the guy the directions, pulled out the knitting and preceded to sit back, relax, and knit furiously. Occasionally the guy would turn around and look at me (Chicago AM traffic bumper to bumper) and ask and occasoinal....

You like I take you to get coffee on the way?

You like I take you to get some breakfast - you hungry?

You like I take you to get some snacks for the day? (somehow, inbetween P1, K1, P3, K1 he finagled out of me that I was going to a conference on 'medical stuff' course it was at the medical school I was going to.....)

Then finally he asked the all important question I KNOW he was wanting to ask as soon as this freak lunatic geek hopped in his cab.... "What are you knitting." Hey bonus points for him - he realized the four lil skewers were knitting needles....... Politely responding "socks and pulling out the sister sock - he chuckled loudly and said "many things happen in cabs - no one has knitting socks yet.... you are my first...." I didn't inquire as to WHAT other things had happened in his cab... I just didn't want to know at the hour of the morning......

I am now up late.... at the unGodly hour of 0200 - studying (ha ha - do I look like I am studying.... I mean sure - the socks are SITTING on my tome that I should be pouring over learning all about toxidromes, toxickinetics and toxicdynamics..... but do I really look like I am studying..... If I had more energy my house would be spotless.... remember in college - finals week.... everything BUT studying was done - then you finally sat down to study... this is how I feel..... and look at those adorable socks.... JUST BEGGING to be worked on...... I WILL RESIST I WILL RESIST - I have eight hours of class tomorrow to knit thru.......) I made progress today - the baby sis sock was only four rows done when I hopped in the unsuspecting cabbies car.....

I walked out to get a pen (studying without a highlighter - man it's been a while hasn't it....) and look at what I found.....
I didn't JUST find her. I knew she was there. She wanted to camp out tonight. She is going through a phase. Last night and the night before she did the same. Tonight we actually just left her there. Perhaps it was the question she posed this morning




"Mom why - when I fall asleep in my 'camp' I set up - I wake up in my bed? How does that happen????"

So tonight she gets her wish.... to stay in her "CAMP!" I had to snap a photo... she looks so darn cute. I remember doing this as a kid. And I also remember waking up wondering HOW in the WORLD did I get to my bed???? Can really mess with a person's mind... I mean look how I turned out..... maybe that is why she is left there tonight... hate to have her turn out like me..... Obsessed about knitting.... learning about toxic substances.... only taking taxis.... up at all hours... Okay - I'll stop obsessing.....

BACK TO STUDYING!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger shanwen said...

It is always difficult to juggle study and knitting. I remember last year when i was still at uni, i had to knit 2 or 3 rows after every 30 mins of studying !! i just couldn't stop ! i had a strong urge to abandon all things and knit all the time . Take a deep breath !:)

26 May, 2006 11:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home