Monday, August 14, 2006

Stitches Part Two

Girls all packed, room somewhat cleaned (who am I kidding, that room is going to be sandblasted clean while they are gone and garbage deposited appropriately), I know I forget what it is to be a kid but I never thought my room looked THAT bad. Ready to head off to Michigan tomorrow courtsey of Amtrak. Their first train trip. They are SO excited!!!!! (Can you say fragments and dangling participles?)

I am now propped on my couch knitting my sock for my Secret Sock Pal. I WILL have it done by the end of August - I WILL!!!! (shhhhhh I know that the deadline is ever looming.... soon..... but so is the end of the week for my KSKS pal and I got some really cool things to plop in her bag. I can't wait to get it out to her. I can't wait to see mine!!!! I am liking these swaps!!!

So - as you all know I practically killed myself and ran myself broke the very first day of Stitches Midwest. Fortunately I did not have a morning class on Saturday so I SLEPT in! Ok - slept in a lil. My friends all had AM classes so getting up was easy. I did take my time getting ready and sat an knitted a while in the room. It was just kinda of nice not having to count stitches and jump up to discipline and unrulely child, clean a spill, mix up something for lunch or scream a hush! (scream a hush just cracks me up... to have to raise your voice in order to calm the chaos is a hillarious oxymoron!)

I headed off to the Market Place to see if I could do any more damage to my finances and indeed I did. I found this fascinating booth that I apparently missed the night before. I got a tail winder that I love. I bookmarked her WWW for my hubby for future gift ideas. I like to make things easy!!!! I also found several cute stores like this, this, and this. Two of these are near me.... hmmmmmmmm

After a less than tantalizing lunch I head off to my Cuff Craze class with Karen Alfke which was mind blowing. the techniques I learned were so eye openning I am now enabled to make up my sock patterns and be even more creative. Between Karen and Debbie look out knitting world..... red head is unleashed. Karen is THE KAREN of the UNPATTERN fame and I was UNPATTERNIZED when I left. Now I know that I have beenin a knitting slump prior to Stitches - I think I frogged my secret sock pal's sock five times in the last week. I am having a huge attack of OCD right now. This class jump started me and I haven't stopped to frog once. I will have those socks done!!!!! And - little did I know but Karen is the KAREN that wrote the ROCK and WEAVE sock pattern (yes THE pattern that the HARLOT promoted!) from SOCKS THAT ROCK!!!!!!! Can you believe it!!!!!! No better teacher!!!!

Leaving Saturday was hard.... I ran down to the Market place just one more time for a quick purchase. You see - I signed up for one last class at the last minute. I had a class on Sunday - but I switched it. I went from Demystifying Gauge to Off the Cuff Beaded Wrist Warmers. I needed BEADS!!!!! So - not knowing what Japanese Seed Beads were or where to purchase them - I ran to the market place and hit here! Seed Beaded loaded I left to return home to the Fam.

Sunday Morning came way too early for me and infact, when my friend Donna, (of the knitted wool bathing bikini in the hot tub fame) called to tell me she was leaving to pick me up, I was still in my pj's and wet hair. EEEEEK.

Off to my Beaded Wrist Warmer Class - with my Czech Seed beads.... (a no no I know but I was desparate) I was ready to learn a new trick to knitting. The class was taught by the wonderful Susanna Hanson who shared with us some fabulous books I MUST have. This Japanese book (who needs translation the photos are BEAUTIFUL and the charts are easily read) I understand I can go here, Susanna's favorite Yarn Shop. and this wonderful Pulse on Pearls available here. Again - no translation needed!

Now - during the beginning of the class my dear friend and local fav shop owner, Donna (another Donna), showed up to take the class too!!!! What a GREAT companion to have!!! Little did I know, looking at her bead stash she toted in - that she had SEED beads!!!!! Who would have thunk it - well DUH!!!!

This class was fun and tantalizing. I learned how to place beads while knitting and some really cool techniques and tricks. I also learned how to do the Crochet cast on. My mind was mush and so were my hands by Sunday AM but I am sure I am going to learn to love the Crochet Cast On!!!!!

Of course - the spending hadn't stopped. I quickly went and purchased one of Susanna's other patterns at the Market Place. I really enjoyed this class. Light but interesting!

I honestly thing, eventhough I returned home early afternoon and was still able to attend my church, I needed today to recover from all the learning and knitting. Who knew knitting could be so calorie burning!!!!!!

I made one more sweep through the Market before leaving on Sunday - I had to stick around for the Grand Prize Drawing (knowing for sure they lost my entry form) (okay so they were FORMS.... I know I went shopping - I have the yarn to prove it!!!) I also had to stop HERE and fondle some more of her wonderful hand dyed yarn and more. I loved the patterns she had and had to have a few. Of course - the www is now bookmarked and awaiting my purchase! I love that the company's name is her daughter's!!!!

I hope those of you who made it to Stitches had an equally interesting time. I can't wait til next year!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger AmyArtisan said...

It sounds like you had a great time at Stitches as well - hopefully next year I will be able to take some of the classes. For just being there Sat. afternoon I managed to do quite a bit of stash enhancement. :) I loved the Tess Yarns booth as well - I didn't get back there to pick some up but I will buy some soon - I loved how the yarns were arranged - the pale blues & greens were so soothing.

15 August, 2006 20:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home